Friday, January 16, 2009

Back in Manila

After a few long days of traveling and a few delays, I am finally back. I had a very interesting time in the airports and met lots of filipinos! By the time i was in Chicago I had already made a whole bunch of filipino friends. It was really nice because I was able to eat with them and talk with them.

The weather right now in the Philippines is absolutely perfect, actually a little cool. Getting into the cold water of the shower takes me a while to do! haha

The first day was a little awkward with the young people which I was expecting, but by the second day, I already felt as if I had not left. I am very proud of Mackie and Rodel for their hard work for the church while I was gone and was very happy to see more then 20 very committed youth serving in the church. In a few weeks I will have a better idea of how the youth are, as it will take me a bit to get to know all the new ones, so please keep that in your prayers as well, that I may be able to really connect with the new youth.

Its already been very overwhelming talking to some of the youth and the things they are going through. Its clear to me now that I will be doing a lot of counseling this year. I really admire these youth, some 5 years younger then me have already faced a 100 times more hardships then me, yet they are still relentless in serving.

On tuesday i met with a group of youth and shared to them my vision for the ministry for 2009. It was a very special time, as I had been waiting for months to be able to share what God had revealed to me. I started off by asking them a question. I asked them if they think its ok that that the only way to get ahead or help your family in the Philippines is to leave the country for work. (this is something that would be considered normal for most filipinos) After I said it I really noticed the question sparked their hearts. One boy looked me right in the eyes and said "NO." Its amazing to see the passion to fight injustice in these youth when they are just given the opportunity. Our ministry these for 2009 will be "becoming the change you want to see in the Philippines." I challenged the youth to follow Jesus' example, by simply loving mercy and being compassionate in everything He did, Jesus flipped the whole world up side down. One thing that is clear to me is that change will never come from the outside, it has to come from within. My dream is to see a new generation of Filipino youth say know to unjust cultural norms stand up and make change in a way honoring to God.

These week I have taken it easy trying to get back to life here and get my new apartment set up. Next week things will get very busy. There is much more to say, but i will save it for my next update.

Thank you all for your commitment in prayers and support!

Brett

No comments: